Friday, January 29, 2010

White Dog

Way back in August last year I posted about a pre-order splurge. One of the books I excitedly ordered was a copy of White Dog by Peter Temple, the fourth Jack Irish novel. The fact that the publication date was delayed meant the other books I'd ordered were delayed, so instead of getting Philip Kerr's 'If The Dead Rise Not' in early Sept, it arrived in October. Amazon have just emailed to tell me that it has been indefinitely delayed and to ask whether I want my money back. What the heck is going on here? Why did the publisher inform Amazon of a publication date if it can't deliver with a six month timeframe? It was published in Australia in Sept 2006, so it's not as if there are writing/production issues. In fact, it is even been sold in Australia as an omnibus edition! A message to Quercus the UK publisher - please get this book out soon.

1 comment:

Maxine Clarke said...

I've been lurking on White Dog in Amazon for ages....All the books in the Jack Irish series were published a while back in Australia so why we are having to wait so long beats me - unless Quercus wants to regulate its flow of Peter Temple releases - last year's Shooting Star was new in UK but not in Australia, but Truth (published this month) is new everywhere. When they have published White Dog, that's all of Peter Temple's back catalogue out - and he is renowned for not being the quickest of writers! (to say the least - Truth took a lot longer to write than the publishers hoped, based on their catalogues for the past year or so!)