Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lazy Sunday Service

I've been reading Michael Connelly's The Scarecrow over the past couple of days.  It's got a little daft from the moment Rachel Walling was introduced, but still entertaining.  Connelly seems to have few weak spots - his writing is very easy on the eye, his dialogue is credible, he knows what he's talking about and educates as he plots, and his characters are well drawn.  Occassionally, though, his storyline suffers a little because he wants to draw together his lead characters from different books and then get them to run counter to commonsense and rationality.  Still, there are only a few writers that I consistently return to, and he's one of them.

My posts this week:

Damned statistics
Review of Hypothermia by Arnaldur Indridason
July reviews
Review of Dead I May Well Be by Adrian McKinty
Turning 40
Country noir
Review of Client by Parnell Hall

2 comments:

Kerrie said...

I've got this somewhere Rob.. need to hunt it out

Karen Russell said...

I find it much easier to believe in characters who do things contrary to common sense than in those who do things against character. I think your criticism is legit!