Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Finding crime fiction from around the world

I do a fair bit of travelling and I always try to read fiction set wherever I'm visiting.  As a result, I'm often looking for recommendations for suitable books.  I've been pointed in the direction of a useful resource - the Stop You’re Killing Me database.  It allows you to browse its database of crime fiction from around the world, listing authors and series for each locale.  I'll no doubt make use of it, but whilst it is a useful resource, I'll probably still put up posts asking for suggestions as I find personal recommendations about particular authors and series valuable in choosing a particular title (and also the database is less extensive outside of the US).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the useful link, Rob.

pattinase (abbott) said...

The only Tucson book I have come up with is THE BEAN TREES, by Barbara Kingsolver, which is not crime. The Hillerman books take place in the four corners though. And it is possible a Nevada Barr is set in a Tuscon park.

Kerrie said...

The various global reading challenges, particularly ones from previous years, are often useful for suggestions Rob. The current one is here with links to past ones.

Marina Sofia said...

This is indeed a very useful link - although sadly a bit scant for some countries. But I suppose we can all add to the database to improve it?