Saturday, February 2, 2013

The signal in the noise

‘This is Needle.’

‘Drugs?’

‘Haystacks.’

Meyer cocked his head.

‘He’s a data analyst.’

‘A geek?’

‘I am here, you know,’ Needle said.

‘He thinks he’s found your man,’ the lieutenant continued.

‘Yeah?  I’ve got half the cops in the city out on the street and there’s no trace of him.’

‘He’s in an apartment block on Kings,’ Needle said.  ‘Jellicoe House.’

‘Let me guess, someone on Twitter told you?’

‘The data and my algorithms told me.  They isolate the signal in the noise.’

‘You believe this shit?’

‘Sounds better than your shit,’ the lieutenant said.  ‘Go and get him, Meyer.’



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rob - Such an interesting contrast in overall approaches just in this one story and you capture it quite well. Nicely done