Sunday, October 12, 2014

Lazy Sunday Service

For the last couple of days I've been reading Shuichi Yoshida's Villain.  From a browse of the first couple of pages I wasn't sure it was going to be my kind of story, but I soon found it an absorbing, compelling read.  I'm now about two thirds of the way through.  In a nicely understated way, Yoshida perfectly captures the everyday humdrum of the human condition - the petty jealousies, awkward moments, lonely reflections, secret fantasies and encounters - inflected with odd moments of hope and catastrophe.  I've no idea how it's going to conclude, but I have a foreboding that it'll not be all sweetness and light.

My posts this week
Review of Because the Night by James Ellroy
Review of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Snow blind

2 comments:

TracyK said...

Very glad to hear you are liking Villain. I will be reading it in the next month or two.

Rob Kitchin said...

I've finished this now and thought it was excellent. I've chatted to someone else who read since and we had very different views, so I'll be interested to see what you make it.