Saturday, March 30, 2019

She probably doesn’t want to be found

‘I’m retired.’

‘I was hoping you’d …’

‘There’s a police station in town. By the library.’

‘They’ve given up,’ the woman said. ‘They’ve found no trace of her.’

Jack sighed and thrust the spade into the ground.

‘How long’s she been missing?’

‘Just over four months.’

‘And you’ve not heard anything since?’

‘No.’

‘How old is she?’

‘Nineteen.’

‘And there was no note?’

‘No.’

 ‘She probably doesn’t want to be found.’

‘Or she’s …’

‘Madness lies there.’

‘There’s madness either way. I just need to know.’

‘I can’t help.’

‘You were a police officer.’

‘Were.’

‘Please.’

‘I can’t promise anything.’




A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

This is really well done, Rob. I could see it as the beginning of a longer story. You've given some interesting backstory, too, just in those few words.