Monday, July 12, 2010

One year on ...

The View from the Blue House turns one today.  In my first post, Opening Gambits, I set the target of posting one or two posts a week, plus a short story once a month.  Well, I’ve managed to post just about every day – 354 posts in total – though I’ve only managed six short stories (plus another 50+ posts on the other blog I contribute to – Ireland After NAMA).  I guess the thing that surprises me most, is the number of book reviews I’ve posted – 111 in total.  Because this is the first time I’ve kept a record of my reading, up until now I’ve had little conception of the throughput of books.  Certainly writing the reviews has given me a better conception of what I like in a story that is hopefully starting to feedback into my own fiction.  My first review was of Stuart Neville’s, The Twelve (and I’m looking forward to the next instalment, Collusion).  Thankfully, Maxine of Petrona discovered TVFTBH fairly shortly after I started – spotting a review I’d written of Jo Nesbo’s, The Devil’s Star - and introducing me and the blog to the Crime and Mystery Fiction Friendfeed community and a supportive audience of other crime fiction bloggers.  The blog has a small, but relatively consistent number of visits a day, and it’s been a pleasure to write and share reviews, ideas and observations with everyone that has stopped by – it’s much appreciated.  And so to the next year …

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob - Congratulations! Please continue sharing your excellent reviews and helpful thoughts with us.

Uriah Robinson said...

Happy First Birthday to The View From The Blue House, although you should be spending your time writing us another Colm McEvoy book. ;o)

Bernadette said...

I agree with Norman - you're only allowed a short self-congratulatory break away from writing more stuff for us to read

Dorte H said...

Maxine is a gem when it comes to spotting interesting blogs - and books.

Congratulations, and let me echo Norman and Bernadette: we want more Colm McEvoy :D

Sean Patrick Reardon said...

Congrats Rob and wishes for another successful year!

David Griffith said...

Congrats on your Blogaversary Rob!
Keep on rocking and I'll keep on reading.

kathy d. said...

Thanks for your great reviews and perspective on crime writing and life in Ireland.

And thanks for "The White Gallows," which I received today in the mail and cannot wait to begin reading.

Kerrie said...

Well done Rob. Blogging (and reviewing) gets addictive!