Friday, December 17, 2010

A profound ad

I saw what I thought was a quite profound billboard over a dual carriageway yesterday that declared: ‘You are not stuck in traffic, you are the traffic.’ Ironically it was next to the entrance to an underground station, although it wasn’t advertising public transport, but a satnav to try and avoid congestion (as if that is possible in central London). Regardless, the ‘you are traffic’ bit is a nice line. At the same spot, I found a nice independent bookshop – Camden Lock Books - in the underpass to Old Street station. Not a fantastic crime fiction section, but a good selection of literary fiction, and a good vibe. I limited myself to four books: John Harvey – Rough Treatment; Ken Breun – London Boulevard; Majs Sowell and Per Wahloo – The Man Who Went Up in Smoke; Jim Thompson – The Killer Inside Me. Looking forward to reading those.

3 comments:

Dorte H said...

That´s British humour for you :D

Ah, Camden Lock & English book stores - wish I were there despite (all the other) traffic.

Anonymous said...

Rob - Thanks: I like that "you are the traffic" line, too!

pattinase (abbott) said...

It reminds me of people who decry urban sprawl and move forty miles outside the city. And then go on to drive their children to private schools an hour away.