Saturday, June 30, 2018

Her last hope

‘Is it true you were a policeman, Gerry? In Britain.’

He’d known his neighbour had be building up to something, but the question still took him by surprise.

‘That’s right, Bridie.’

‘You were a detective?’

‘Just an ordinary cop. Walking the beat, keeping the peace.’

‘But you worked on missing people cases?’

‘What is it that you’re after, Bridie?’

‘My Mary. She disappeared. Twelve years ago.’

‘I’m not a policeman anymore.’

‘But you know how to find people.’

‘Bridie …’

‘You’re my last hope, Gerry. Her last hope.’

So much for retirement. He thrust his spade into the sodden ground.



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like this one, Rob! Lots of depth to the story, even with just the 100 words. And now I'm curious what happened to Mary...