Saturday, August 25, 2018

Voices

‘How do you make them stop, Mummy?’

‘Make what stop, Sweetie.’

‘The voices.’

‘What voices?’ Karen turned away from the television.

Sadie was clutching a raggedy doll. ‘The ones in my head.’

‘Everybody has a voice in their head. It’s your inner voice.’

‘But there’s lots of them. And they won’t let me sleep. They say horrible things.’

Karen muted the programme.

‘What kinds of things?’

‘They want me to kill someone.’

‘They want you to what?’

‘They want me to kill you.’

There was a snicker in the hallway. Sadie giggled.

‘That’s not funny!’ Karen yelled, throwing a cushion.



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the pacing and timing of this one work really well, Rob. I like the interplay among the characters, too. Nicely done