Sunday, July 7, 2013

Lazy Sunday Service

I discovered 'Ireland's smallest bookshop' yesterday in Boyle - The Book Lady.  The shop probably measured eight feet by six and was floor to ceiling books, mostly selected literary fiction.  I think it's the first bookshop I've been in that had a free section - 'books that can be picked up for three for a euro in charity shops that are unlikely to be sold and are taking up space,' as the friendly owner put it.  I picked up a copy of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, of which I've been dimly aware but taken no notice.  I've now discovered that it's been on the New York Times bestseller list for seven years and has over 320,000 ratings on Goodreads.  Which just goes to show how much attention I pay to bestseller lists.  Hopefully it'll be as good a read as reviews say it'll be.

My post this week:

June reviews
Review of Zugzwang by Ronan Bennett
Irish crime binge
Review of Little Criminals by Gene Kerrigan
Rock and a hard place

3 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY CHRISTIAN BLOG

seana graham said...

I checked it out online. That place looks great.

col2910 said...

One of my favourite books of the last few years - Zusak's Book Thief. I Am The Messenger was pretty good also.