Monday, November 2, 2015

October reads

A mixed month of reading.  My standout read was Luke McCallin's The Pale House set in Sarajevo during the Second World War.

The Last Four Days of Paddy Buckley by Jeremy Massey ***
Stasi Child by David Young ****
The Monuments Men by Robert Edsel ***
Sign of the Cross by Anne Emery ***
Lunenburg by Keith Baker **.5
The Pale House by Luke McCallin *****
Blizzard of Glass by Sally M Walker ***
The Girl in Berlin by Elizabeth Wilson ***
Dragnet Nation by Julia Angwin ****

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

You are one of the few males ( along with my husband) who seems to read books written by women as well as men. I notice this every week on forgotten books. How few of the men ever choose to review a book by a woman. Yet if we look at crime fiction, many women write fairly hard-boiled crime fiction.

Rob Kitchin said...

I still have a bias though in the numbers. For me I think it is partially an artifact of sub-genres I read - noir, hardboiled, comic crime, espionage, procedural, and historical 1930s-50s (last two are pretty gender neutral), but not cozies or psychologicals, and I tend to shy away from domestically focused tales. I loved all the tart noirs in late 1990s/early 2000s, but they all seemed to peter out. I agree many women write great hard-boiled and should get a bigger (male) audience.