Saturday, July 28, 2018

Unwilling do-gooder

Henry shuffled to the front door and tried to remember the last time he’d had visitors. There’d been some do-gooders at Christmas whom he’d sent packing.

There was a girl under the porch, her right eye blackened.

‘Are you okay, lass?’

‘I need help.’

‘I haven’t a phone.’

‘He’s looking for me.’

‘Steph!’ A man’s voice from across the Oak Field.

‘Please. Just keep me hidden. I’ll leave once he’s gone.’

‘You need a doctor.’

‘I need a new life.’

Henry hesitated.

‘Please.’

He let her in, an unwilling do-gooder. No doubt the visitors for the year would soon double.



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this one is a good 'un, Rob. I can see it as part of a larger story, too (e.g. what happened to the girl? Who's looking for her? Why hasn't Henry had visitors?). I can imagine what happened, but I can also see it going in a number of different directions.