Thursday, May 26, 2011

Something is strange in the state of Denmark

Blogger has finally let me log on. Arrived in Roskilde yesterday, despite the threat of the ash cloud. I spotted two Irish literary 'heavyweights' in Dublin airport - Anne Enright (Booker Prize Winner) and Colm Toibin (Costa and IMPAC prize winner). No doubt off to collect more deserved plaudits. Roskilde is a pleasant but very quiet town. When I walked through the streets last night at midnight I was the only person on the main thoroughfare in the town. In fact, I've seen very few people at all since I arrived. I'm not sure where they are hiding, but the place is a little bit spooky with its perfect streets and houses and very few people. Everything feels planned and managed and controlled. It's all very orderly. I'm definitely feeling a little out of place - I'm too used to the messiness and busyness of Irish towns; the bustle and hustle. Roskilde feels like the inverse of Maynooth, despite the fact that they are both university towns. Strange.

4 comments:

Dorte H said...

Oh, didn´t you know we are not let out after dusk? ;)

I hope you are enjoying your stay. We came back home from Bristol Sunday, having enjoyed CrimeFest together with Kerrie and Bob.

seana graham said...

Rob, I'm afraid this begs to be turned into a story of some sort.

Rob Kitchin said...

Dorte, but where are the people during the day? They're invisible during the day and at night!

Seana, possibly. I'll think about it.

Dorte H said...

Indoors - first at work and later in their own homes. In lawn-mowing weather they may come out, though.

And a story about Roskilde would be fun.