Sunday, September 14, 2014

Lazy Sunday Service

Some books can spend an age on my to-be-read pile before suddenly popping up to the top.  I've just made a start on Nick Quantrill's The Late Greats, the second Joe Geraghty novel.  I'm not sure how long it's been stuck on the pile, but far too long.  I'm not really sure why some of the books I acquire languish unread for so long.  They all start near the top of the pile and then somehow shuffle down.  And once they slip it's difficult to jump back up given the in-flow of new books.  I either need to work my way through the whole pile and try and stop a new one developing (some hope), or adopt an occassional re-shuffle policy (browse and re-order), or a deadline mandate (the book has to be read within two years of purchase, automatically being pushed to the top as the deadline nears).  I'm not sure any of these will work, but I should probably adopt one of them.  Suggestions welcome.

My posts this week

Review of Salty by Mark Haskell Smith
Review of Automate This by Christopher Steiner
Washed up on the tide

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I have no strategy either but there are books that have been there for 30 years. I am most likely to read book from the library because they have a due date on them.

Rob Kitchin said...

Yeah, I think the 'due date' option might be the way to go.

Anonymous said...

I've tried to reduce the number of books I buy each month, but I'm going nowhere with that startegy either. Now I was planning to list my TBR pile and as per your suggestion I'll put myself in the position of either read it or give it away if they'd been there for over two years.

Anonymous-9 said...

Hmmm, is it possible the ones that shuffle down just don't grab you at first? I'm always more liable to read stories that engage me from the first page. If you have a bunch that have shuffled down how about instituting a lottery?

Failing that Rob, you need an assistant reader, just like they have at the movie studios!
ANonymous-9/Elaine