Saturday, May 25, 2019

Doubly dangerous

Carter sighed. ‘Pete, I don’t …’

‘I know what I’m doing.’ Kiley rolled his neck.

‘People are most dangerous when they’ve got nothing to lose.’

‘No, they’re not. People are most dangerous when they could lose everything.’

‘So in this case it’s doubly dangerous. He has nothing to lose but his life.’

‘Stop talking double-speak, Harry. Just make sure you’re covering me when I kick the door in.’

‘We wait for back-up.’

‘No, we don’t.’

Kiley launched himself at the door.

Three shots punctured the wood. Kiley slid to the floor.

Carter returned fire.

‘I told you, meathead, doubly dangerous!’



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

This is potent, Rob. And you have a good way here of a larger point about what people really fear within the context of the story. Well done