Saturday, December 28, 2019

Nobody hears silence

‘What?’

‘What?’

‘Did you say something?’

‘No.’

‘Oh, I thought you …’

‘No.’

‘Okay, sorry.’

‘No, you’re not.’

‘Pardon?’

‘You’re not sorry.’

‘What?’

‘Why say you’re sorry when you’re not.’

‘I was being polite.’

‘You were trying to start a conversation.’

‘I thought you’d said something.’

‘By making no sound?’

‘I heard something.’

‘Probably the voices in your head.’

‘Are you saying I’m crazy?’

‘You said it, not me.’

‘Because you were implying it.’

‘I’m not the one who heard silence as noise.’

‘Nobody hears silence.’

‘Except you, apparently.’

‘For someone who doesn’t want to talk …’

‘Quiet, please.’

‘Sheez.’



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

This is an interesting conversation, Rob. It's very 'real-life,' and yet, if you read it, it can sound confusing. Perhaps that's what makes it 'real life.' I like it!