Saturday, January 11, 2020

Fighting fires

‘So, my benefits have been suspended because I haven’t applied for enough jobs?’

‘You haven’t applied for any jobs.’

‘The country’s on fire. I’ve been fighting firestorms every day for the past six weeks. 12 to 14 hours a day.’

‘I know, and personally I’m extremely grateful, but you still need to apply for the requisite number of jobs per week to receive benefits, Mr Kelly.’

‘No exceptions?’

‘I’m afraid not.’

‘Seriously? A state of emergency’s been declared. Twelve million acres have burnt. Let’s hope your house doesn’t face a wall of fire while I’m filling out pointless bloody applications.’



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

This is potent stuff, Rob, and just what a bureaucrat might say, even to a firefighter. Well done