Saturday, July 25, 2020

Comfortable love

‘I just want to be content,’ Lena said. ‘I don’t need thunderbolts.’

Katie turned off the television as the credits rolled.

‘You don’t want to be whisked off your feet? Feel your heart is going to burst?’

‘I want companionship not romance.’ Lena sipped her wine.

‘You don’t want to be madly in love with him?’

‘I want love built on friendship, not desire, big gestures, emotional highs. For it to burn like incense not explode as fireworks.’

‘Sounds like romantic love to me.’

‘But with a small r and less melodrama.’

’Also boring.’

‘Exactly. Comfortable love. That’s my dream.’



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

You know, Rob, Lena has a good point. And I think you express it really well here. I like your hints about the setting, too. Nicely done