Saturday, November 7, 2020

Charade

‘Mr Smith, will you please answer the question.’

‘What’s the point? Everyone in this room thinks I’m guilty. Including my own lawyer.’

‘And are you?’

‘No. I didn’t kill that poor woman; but I have no way of proving it. Can’t we just skip forward to the sentencing?’

‘You haven’t been convicted as yet.’

‘That’s only a matter of time. We’re just wasting tax-payers money.’

‘An innocent man would contest the charges.’

‘This innocent man has been, but nobody wants to listen. Can’t we just end this charade?’

‘This isn’t a charade, Mr Smith.’

‘It is from where I’m sitting.’



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

I can see Smith's point, Rob. I'm sure that it must feel that way for a lot of people who are brought up on charges. You share his perspective really effectively here.