Saturday, July 17, 2021

I don't need friends

‘Wait!’

Carol tugged an earbud free. ‘What?’

‘If you need anything …’ Darren trailed off.

‘I won’t.’

As Carol stepped forward, Darren grabbed her wrist.

‘Let go.’

Darren loosened his grip. ‘Sorry.’

‘Just leave me alone.’

‘At least take my number. In case you need help.’

‘I don’t need your help. Or anyone else’s.’

‘They’ll keep hassling you.’

Carol shrugged. ‘It’s nothing I’m not used to.’

‘It’s no harm to have friends.’

‘I don’t need friends.’

‘Don’t want or don’t need?’

‘Both. They only betray you.’

‘Well, I won’t. Just take my number.’ Darren shoved a note into Carol’s pocket.



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

Makes me wonder where she's going that she might need a friend, Rob. I like the sense of urgency in this one - well done