Saturday, August 7, 2021

That's all I'll pay for

‘Are you sure you want to do this, Jack?’

‘God knows the truth. He’ll judge me accordingly. It’s the living that need it now.’

‘Then I’ll hear your confession,’ the priest said, taking the dying man’s hand.

‘I killed Jane. I didn’t mean … it just … I lost it. Her clothes are in the woodshed. The knife is in the septic tank.’

‘And Terry Macleod?’

‘He was her lover. He got what he deserved.’

‘He’s in prison for a crime he didn’t commit.’

‘I only regret Jane. That’s all I’ll pay for.’

‘You don’t get to decide that, Jack.’


A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

You set the scene for both stories (the murder and the confession) really well, Rob. And there are, I'm sure, people who'd agree with Jack about Terry. I do like the issues this raises; really is nicely done!