Sunday, December 25, 2022

Cindernever

‘Tess. Wow, I finally found you.’

‘I suppose I’m now meant to try on some glass slipper?’

‘Metaphorically speaking.’

‘This isn’t Cinderella, Marcus. You lied to me.’

‘I’m …’

‘And I’ve no interest in being a princess; receiving excessive privilege for no reason except marriage to a man who has done nothing to earn his position.’

‘I …’

‘It’s just a fairytale designed to reproduce the position of royalty in society. Why are there no Cindernever stories where the prince gives up everything for love, including dismantling the establishment to create a republic?’

‘Shall I try on a work boot?’

A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

Aww, that's a nice take on the old story, Rob. And I like Tess' attitude about the whole thing, too. I think you do a great job here of mixing in a political statement with the whole romance thing.