Monday, January 3, 2011

Best reads of 2010

2010 was a very good year of reading. I just scraped over the 100 mark, having completed and reviewed 101 books during the year. I read some stellar books, but here is my top ten reads, only two of which were published in 2010. My number one pick is Brodeck's Report by Phillipe Claudel - a beautifully written, superbly plotted book that will leave you reflecting on its story and the questions it raises long after the last page is turned.

Best crime reads
Brodeck's Report by Phillipe Claudel (2007/09)
The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death by Charlie Huston (2009)
The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M Cain (1934)
Small Crimes by Dave Zeltserman (2008)
The Ones You Do by Daniel Woodrell (1992)
Gunshot Road by Adrian Hyland (2010)
Vanilla Ride by Joe Lansdale (2009)
Expiration Date by Duane Swierczynski (2010)
Dead I May Well Be by Adrian McKinty (2003)
Hypothermia by Arnaldur Indridason (2007/09)

The book I didn't give a five star rating to, but has rattled around inside my head the most:
Then Came The Evening by Brian Hart (2010)

Best non-fiction book
We Die Alone by David Howarth (1955)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob - Thanks for sharing your list. There are a few on there I haven't tried. Time to add, I see, to my TBR...

pattinase (abbott) said...

Great list.