Thursday, January 27, 2011

Montreal/Quebec crime fiction?

I'm off to Montreal in mid-March for a week. We've been doing some work on Canada and potential diaspora strategies and they're flying us over to present the findings and discuss them more fully. I like to try and read crime fiction set in the places I visit, but I'm not really aware of novels set in Montreal or Quebec more broadly. Since I probably need to think about ordering books now if I'm to have them in good time for when I travel, I thought I'd post to see if anyone had any recommendations? I'm interested in any crime sub-genre.

Update:
My review of The Main by Trevanian is here.
My review of Still Life by Lousie Penny is here.

7 comments:

petronatwo said...

There's a database for crime fiction in Canada, but I don't know how specific (regionally) it is:

http://www.brocku.ca/crimefictioncanada/

And there is an issue of Mystery Readers' Journal dedicated to articles about Canadian crime fiction here:

http://www.mysteryreaders.org/Issues/canada.html

I enjoyed reading The Midnight Cab by James Nicholl, mainly set in Toronto.

http://petrona.typepad.com/petrona/2010/09/book-review-midnight-cab-by-james-w-nichol.html

Bernadette in Australia said...

several of Kathy Reichs' earlier novels take place in Montreal (her protagonist works half the year in Montreal and half the year in the US). But I can't remember which ones are which

Other than that I'm fresh out of ideas - none of the 11 books I've read so far for the Canadian challenge have been set in Montreal or Quebec in general - pity because it's the prettiest part of the country by far

kathy d. said...

There is a Crime Writers of Canada website, where books that were shortlisted for the 2010 Arthur Ellis prize are listed.

Also, the wonderful French writer, Fred Vargas, who writes a series about the disheveled, but brilliant Inspector Adamsberg, sets a substantial part of "Wash this Blood Clean from my Hands," in Montreal. The part set in Montreal contains a hilarious scene, won't say any more.

Not exactly Montreal, but Robert Rotenberg sets "Old City Hall," in Toronto. It's a police procedural sort of, with interesting characters.

LauraR said...

Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series is set in Quebec. I find it a little on the cozy side tbh though.

Karen Russell said...

I read one of the Kathy Reichs books set in Montreal, Bones to Ashes (2007) -- reviewed here: http://www.howmysterious.com/2010/04/22/forensic-detectives-young-and-older/

Rob Kitchin said...

Thanks everyone. I'll try one of Kathy Reichs - probably Death du Jour. John Farrow's City of Ice and Trevanian's The Main.

Ronald Kent said...

Rob, check out Vigilante Patsy, by Ronald Kent it is a Montreal Irish crime fiction based in Point St. Charles.