Thursday, January 8, 2015

My reading plans for 2015

I see that other bloggers are setting their annual challenges and aims for their reading for 2015.  I usually keep these to a minimum, being more guided by whatever takes my reading fancy once I've finished a book and I'm looking to start another.  This year, however, I am going to try and be guided by some rough parameters:

1) expand my geographical horizons.  To date, the 591 books reviewed on the blog have been set in 53 countries, 8 of which were not the primary setting (the tale travelled across different territories).  I plan to read books set in 7 new-to-me countries.

2) continue to expand my reading of books written prior to 1970.  I plan to read at least 15 such books.

3) for the past few years I've been mostly reading books by authors new to me.  The 591 books I've read and reviewed have been written by 446 authors.  I plan to read at least two books by authors I've read previously for every new-to-me author (so most of the newbies are going to have to come from points 1 and 2 above).

4) I've a particular interest in crime fiction set in Ireland or written by Irish authors and usually read around 15 or so each year.  My plan is to maintain the trend in 2015. 

5) my to-be-read pile has been expanding a little in recent months.  My plan is to reduce it quite substantially over the year by reducing the books I buy this year by a half to about 60.  I'm assuming I'll read around 100 books.


2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I wish I had a plan. Incidentally, Rob, STUMPED was on my list a few days ago of best books read in 2014. Waiting for your next outing.

Rob Kitchin said...

Hi Patti, great that Stumped made your 2014 list. I'm working on the next book, which started life as a short story for one of your flash fiction challenges (about white vans). I'm enjoying writing it so far.