Saturday, September 14, 2019

Duty

‘I can’t do this any longer, Sandra.’

She turned from the dishwasher. ‘Are you breaking up with me?’

‘What? No. This.’ He tapped a document. ‘I can’t do this.’

‘Paperwork?’

‘Working in the civil service. I spend all day writing policy I hate for politicians I detest who’re determined to enrich themselves and their friends by fucking over everyone else.’

‘We need the money, Michael. If …’

‘They’re destroying the country. I’m destroying the country.’

‘You’re the first line of defence.’

‘I’m a cog in a wheel.’

‘You’re doing your duty.’

‘By selling my soul, Sandra. By selling my soul.’



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

Oh, this really struck a chord with me, Rob. My guess is, there are plenty of dutiful civil servants who feel the same way...