Saturday, February 13, 2021

Fingers splayed

‘I didn’t know her and I didn’t kill her.’

Larkin closed his eyes. He knew that nobody in the courtroom believed him, including his own family.

‘And your fingerprints?’

‘I don’t know. I just don’t …’

Larkin held his hand out, fingers splayed.

‘They were …’ Joyce stopped.

With sudden clarity, he felt the case fall apart. Except nobody else noticed.

‘Counsel?’

‘I …’ Joyce stared into space.

Could he really prosecute an innocent man? They’d spent months preparing the case, certain of his guilt.

‘Counsel?’

Joyce blinked twice. It wasn’t his job to do the work of the defence.



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

That's a powerful moment, Rob, and well-depicted. I can only imagine how both Larkin and Joyce must feel in that situation. Well done