Saturday, October 9, 2021

Prick

‘I don’t understand what the problem is?’

‘You!’ Jane whirled to face David. ‘You’re the problem.’

‘I’m the problem?’

‘You’re a self-centred prick.’

‘Is this still about your birthday?’

Jane shot out her hands; David flew backwards off the towpath, landing with a splash.

‘Jane set off without a backward glance.

‘Jane! … Jane!’

She ignored the frantic splashing.

‘I can’t swim!’

Jane turned, hands on hips.

‘Jane! Help!’

‘Put your feet down and stand up.’

‘Jane!’

‘Stand up.’

‘I can’t swim.’

‘But you can stand.’

‘I’m ... drowning.’

‘I’m not jumping in. Stand up. That’s it.’

‘I …’

‘Prick.’


A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

I really like the visual imagery in this one, Rob. And now I want to know just what happened (or didn't) on her birthday...