Saturday, January 22, 2022

Why didn't you look for me?

John almost collided with the young woman blocking the path.

‘You don’t recognize your daughter?’

‘Sorry?’

‘I recognized you straightaway.’

‘Jane?’

‘You have another daughter?’

‘No … Wow, what is it, fourteen years?’

‘Fifteen. And who’s fault is that? Nothing for fifteen years.’

‘Sorry. I sent a letter each week for a while. After that on special occasions. But I never received a reply’

‘Really?’

‘Your mother … She wanted a fresh start.’

‘So you just walked away?’

‘I wasn’t the one who left.’

‘Why didn’t you look for me?’

‘I … I wasn’t sure you’d want to be found.’

 

A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

 

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

That says a lot about that couple's breakup, Rob, in just a few words. And about the impact of a breakup on the child. Well done