Sunday, April 17, 2022

She's not my mother

 Calum breathed in slowly, replaying the conversation with his father two days previously.

‘Your aunt called yesterday. Your mother’s in the hospital.’

‘So?’

‘So, it’s serious. Cancer. Of the pancreas.’

‘And?’

‘You need to visit her, Cal.’

‘No.’

‘She’s your mother.’

‘No, she’s not.’

‘You might not get another chance.’

‘She hasn’t visited us in ten years!’

‘Which I’m sure she regrets.’

‘Whose side are you on, Dad?’

‘Yours.’

‘She left us.’

‘So, find out why.’

‘I don’t need to know.’

‘Yes, you do.’

‘No.’

‘Don’t be left wondering.’

Calum rose from the bench and headed for the hospital entrance.



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

You have a point there, Rob. It's just better to know the truth. Now I want to know why she left, and I can see how that might make Callum go visit his mother.