Sunday, June 19, 2022

Losing him slowly

‘Josie, love,’ Tim shouted from the kitchen, ‘I can’t find the salt.’

‘In the cupboard above the toaster.’

‘Who’s Josie?’ Kate asked.

‘His first wife.’

‘He thinks you’re his first wife?’

‘I’m losing him slowly. He still remembers who I am. Mostly.’

‘I’m so sorry, Lorna.’

‘It seems that she’s his true love.’

‘You know that’s not true.’

Lorna shrugged and twisted her wedding ring. ‘He seems happier when he thinks I’m her.’

‘You’ve been married, what, forty years?’

‘Forty one.’

‘That’s true love.’

‘Josie!’

‘For me at least.’

‘For the both of you.’

‘I better give him a hand.’



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

That's got to be so hard, when a person starts to lose a loved one like that. You capture all that it brings up really effectively, Rob - well done.