Sunday, August 14, 2022

I need to live my own life

‘You made the final of the World’s last year. You could medal at the Olympics.’

‘We both know that’s not going to happen. There’s a new generation coming through.’

‘Let’s not be hasty, Pip.’

‘I’ve already made my decision, Dad. I want to leave with my head held high.’

‘All the work you’ve put in; your dream.’

‘You mean, your dream. I love the sport, but it’s not my job to fulfil dreams you couldn’t realise.’

‘Pip.’

‘I don’t want to finish hating the sport. Hating you.’

‘But …’

‘You’re not listening, Dad. I need to live my own life.’



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

Ah, yes, living vicariously through your children. That really does happen, especially among high-profile professions like competitive athletics. You explore it well here, Rob.