Sunday, January 8, 2023

Back from the dead

‘Hello, Tess.’

‘Jake?’

‘Sorry for not calling ahead.’

‘They told me you were dead.’

‘I was released four days ago. I wanted to be the one that told you.’

‘I’ve … I’ve …’

‘They explained.’

‘I … Are you a ghost?’

‘Sometimes it seems that way. Don’t worry, I won’t cause you any problems. We’ll find a way for a retrospective divorce.’

‘Oh god. I …’

‘Mummy! Come and see.’

‘I’ll let you get back to them.’

‘Jesus, Jake. I’m so sorry.’

‘Don’t be.’

‘But …’

‘It was good seeing you again, Tess.’

‘Mummy!’

‘I’m sorry, Jake.’

‘Go. It’s fine.’

 

A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.



1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

Oh, this one's potent, Rob! It is interesting to think about how we'd act if that sort of thing really happened. And now I wonder about who Tess and Jake are, and what happened to them. Well done