Sunday, January 15, 2023

The Last Hurrah

‘Relax will you. It’s just an abandoned warehouse.’

‘Well, it’s giving me the creeps.’

‘We’ll just glance it over and skedaddle. Tomorrow you’ll be a free man.’

‘Uh-huh.’

‘I can’t wait to retire. Lie in. Go fishing. Enjoy life.’

‘You hear that?’

‘What?’

‘Voices. Over there.’

‘Charlie, put the gun away.’

‘Come-on.’

‘Charlie. Take it easy.’

‘One last hurrah, okay.’

‘Look …’

The door flew open, a figure in its frame.

The body slam sent Charlie to the floor.

A shot discharged.

‘What the fuck!’

‘Surprise!’ Harry whispered in Charlie’s ear. ‘You just put a bullet through your retirement cake.’



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

Oh, I love that ending, Rob! I should have seen it coming, because you did hint. But still! Well done and I like the whole abandoned warehouse touch.