Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saturday snippets from Saturday's Child

Saturday's Child by Ray Banks is set in working class Manchester and Bank's does a pretty good job at immersing the reader in culture.  He has a good observational eye and a nice turn of phrase.  Some of my favourite lines from the first hundred pages or so:


"The way the story goes, Morris Tiernan once had a bad debt slit from arsehole to appetite"

"The girl looks like she has covered her face in glue and headbutted a bag full of ball bearings."

"A working class hero is something to be.  But then six bullets, point blank, and not one of them hit Yuko."

"I'm your Dad, but I wouldn't trust you as far as I could shit you, son."

1 comment:

Paul D Brazill said...

Great stuff. The Call Innes books are all gems. I think you'll like them.