Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Choice Award

Got some interesting news in the last couple of days. The International Encyclopedia of Human Geography, for which I was Editor-in-Chief, has been awarded a 'CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title 2010' award in the Social and Behavioural Sciences category. There were 7,000+ entrants across all categories. I think this is the first time any of my publications has actually won anything, so I'm happy with that. Of course, all I did was manage the other editors and authors, and edit entries myself, so it was a large team effort - so this is really shared across all 844 contributors. I don't think there's any prize as such, so it's the recognition being shared before anyone asks me for their 844th! Back to a review tomorrow, hopefully.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob - Well done! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

Paul D Brazill said...

Congratulations!

Dorte H said...

Terrific!

seana graham said...

That's outstanding. Congratulations to you and the 843 others.

Bernadette said...

That is excellent Rob, congratulations. In my workplace being able to say I 'know' someone whose won one of those awards will have much chachet

Anonymous said...

Another one?

http://www.sagepub.com/books/Book226443#tabview=reviews

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/722034/description#description

http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1405132876.html

Congrats nevertheless

Rob Kitchin said...

Thanks for the congrats. @Anon. One of your three links is the work that won the award. That said, I'd be very worried about a discipline that only had one reference work. What differentiates the IEHG is size, scope and international make-up of authors - 12 vols, 5m words, 844 contributors from over 40 countries.