Saturday, August 15, 2015

Eve to the power of infinity

Carter stepped over the threshold and halted.

He’d entered a speculum world.  The wall, floor, ceiling, every piece of furniture were covered in mirrors.  The whole space stretched and concertinaed without end. 

A dark haired woman wearing in a white nightdress was sitting on a chair holding a red apple.  She was visible simultaneously from every angle, reflected and refracted into a million editions.

A million Carter’s scratched their heads.  ‘It’s like something out of a Kubrick movie.’

‘Doc thinks she was poisoned,’ Hanley said, joining him. ‘Blue lips. Cyanide in the apple.’

‘She’s Eve to the power of infinity.’




A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

3 comments:

seana graham said...

"Eve to the power of infinity" is a great line.

Rob Kitchin said...

Yeah, I like that line as well! I do find these easier to write if I'm bumping off real people. Though I still find it a little odd that folk ask me to do that to them!

Anonymous said...

I've been asked to do that too, Rob - bump off real people in my stories. This one's a great story, and I love the mirror effect.