Saturday, August 1, 2015

Riptide

‘It’s seaweed.’

‘That’s just covering something else.’

‘Okay, it’s a log covered in seaweed.’

‘I think it’s a box.’

‘I don’t care, I’m not wading out in this weather into those waves.  It’s freezing.’

‘Or maybe it’s a body!’

‘Then call the police.  What are you doing?’  Paul watched Steve tug off his shoes, socks and jeans. 

‘You’re mad!’

‘I need to know what it is!’

‘You could drown.  This beach has a hell of a riptide.’

Paul watched as Steve waded out into the roaring swell and disappeared from view.

‘Steve!’

A wave broke and rushed up the shore.



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you've got a great scene here, Rob! Now I want to know not just whether Steve will be OK, but whether that seaweed is covering anything...