Saturday, July 30, 2011

When it flows, it pours

I starting writing a new novel, Stiffed, on the 25th June. I came across a nice quote – ‘Friends help you move ... true friends help you move bodies’ – and I thought, I can do something with that. Since then I’ve been hammering away at the keyboard and this afternoon - 68,850 words later – I reached the end. I haven’t read it through yet, but I enjoyed the writing so much that I’m reasonably hopeful that it's not half bad. I’m actually looking forward to reading it through! Sometimes things just click. I’ve experienced this a few times with my academic writing, but not with the fiction. A great feeling for now (and hopefully the same once I’ve read through the whole thing from start to end). Off to get a beer (or several).

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I cannot tell you how unbelievable this is to me. A month? I take longer than that to write a 5000 word story. You are amazing. Your unconscious/conscious mind must run circles around mine.

Rob Kitchin said...

The proof will be in the reading. I always enjoy the writing much more than the reading through. The thing with this one was the characters and plot just kind of wrote themselves; I just gave it all a voice. We'll see how I feel after the read through. Hopefully tweaks, not major edits, but we'll see.