Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Winterland

After a blitz through Jake Needham's The Big Mango (review later in the week), I bit the bullet and started Alan Glynn's Winterland last night. I'm 100 pages in and it lives up to my high expectations. Glynn has a got a keen observational eye and like Gene Kerrigan perfectly captures the social and political relations in Ireland. If, as Declan Burke is suggesting over on Crime Always Pays, Glynn's next book, Bloodland, is just as good, if not better, then it's going to be one heck of a read. Thankfully, in my own as yet unpublished novel on property development and corruption in Ireland, I concentrate on the rural midlands. With regards to Dublin, Glynn and Kerrigan have been there and done that. I've been toying about writing an academic book on housing, property and planning in Ireland. I think I'll just tell the students to read their novels. They'll get the same insights without the dryness.

No comments: