Thursday, November 3, 2011

One Book, Two Book, Three Book, Four… and Five…

I rarely do memes, but I thought I'd have a go at this one. It's appeared in a few places. I've picked it up from Books Please, The Games Afoot, Petrona, Reactions to Reading and Mysteries in Paradise.

The book I’m currently reading? Malcolm Pryce's The Day Aberystwyth Stood Still. I'm a 100 pages in and it's excellent. He's really hit his stride with this series now. I love the prose, expressive description and vivid imagination. I'm also working my way through Simon Carswell's Anglo Republic. Good book, but damn frustrating content.

The last book I finished? The Somme Stations by Andrew Martin. Review to follow sometime soon. Basically, so-so start, really great middle section, weak end.

The next book I want to read? Peter Temple's White Dog. What I'm going to read is probably The Red Coffin by Sam Eastland.

The last book I bought? The Somme Station, but I have a bunch ordered through the local bookshop including Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin, Dead Hand of History by Sally Spencer, Head Games by Craig McDonald, The Hanging Shed by Gordon Ferris, Cypress Grove by James Sallis, and Killer Verse by edited by Ken Brown and Harold Schechter.

The last book I was given? Ridley Walker by Russell Hoban.

Which was the last book you borrowed from the library? The Complaints by Ian Rankin. It's the only library book I've read in the last two and half years of blogging.

What is the most recent e-book you read? I don't own an e-reader. I've no real desire to. I read Nigel Bird's Dirty Old Town on my laptop. I've got halfway through Paul Brazill's Brit Grit, but I need to print it out. I read all my own drafts on paper, rather than on-screen.

What was the last translated book you read? Asa Larsson, The Savage Altar.

What was the first book you read this year? Peeler by Kevin McCarthy. Looking forward to his next book (assuming there's one in the works).

Which book is at the top of your Christmas list? Peter Temple's White Dog, Philip Kerr's Prague Fatale and Frank Bill's Crimes in Southern Indiana. Another book that I would have already read if there was a paper version would be Patti Abbott's Monkey Justice (I might have to get an e-reader for books published in e-book form only; my only reason for getting one).

Which so-far unpublished book are you most looking forward to reading? Death in the City of Light by David King. I tried to order it after reading a review, but it's not out until January 2012.

No comments: