Saturday, September 4, 2021

Scared

‘Kelly.’

‘Don’t come any nearer.’

‘Let’s talk about this.’ Sarah edged forward.

‘Just leave me alone.’

‘Not until you step back.’

‘If you come any closer I’ll jump.’

‘Kelly.’

‘All you had to say was you didn’t like me.’

‘Look, I …’

‘You didn’t need to out me to the whole school.’

‘I’m sorry.’

‘Now my parents know.’

‘I … I wasn’t …’

‘They think I’m a freak.’

‘Kelly. Please, just step back.’

‘I thought you liked me as well.’

‘I do like you.’

‘But not in that way.’

‘I was scared.’

‘So am I.’

‘Then let’s be scared together.’



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

This says a lot, Rob, and I think it happens like that in real life. I like your last sentence; gives the story an effective reason for hope.