Sunday, December 5, 2021

This is the end

Matt toppled a pile of books onto the floor.

‘Just, stop.’

Chess pieces flew from their board.

‘I need this to end.’

‘What?’

‘Us. This. Whatever this is. I love you, but I hate myself when I’m with you.’

‘Huh?’

‘I need to love, even just like, myself. This … this is too self-destructive.’

‘You just said you love me.’

‘It’s not a healthy love, Matt. It’s all lies and silence and walking on eggshells. All we do is fight, sulk, kind of make-up, then repeat. It’s not good for either of us.’

‘Carrie?’

‘Sorry, Matt. This is the end.’

 

A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words

1 comment:

Margot Kinberg said...

Poor Matt! Sounds like quite a shock to him. You do a great job here of showing both people's viewpoints, so we can have sympathy for both, and that's not easy to pull off. Well done