Friday, October 8, 2010

One parent edit leads to lots of children edits

I took a day off work today to try use a long weekend in order to push Digging for Gold towards submission. Of course, I still spent a couple of hours on email keeping the show on the road, but that's beside the point. Two of my beta readers suggested edits to the end of the novel, so I thought I'd have a go at tweaking. The problem is that one parent edit, then leads to a cascade of children edits to ensure continuity. And make more than one parent edit and all of sudden you're trying to deal with families of edits. Families that co-exist. It can rapidly get complicated and messy. And the danger is that you're left with parentless children as you delete and replace sections. Hopefully it's improving things. We'll see. Better get back to it, before I lose all my latest genealogical thread.

1 comment:

Dorte H said...

Sounds much like my day. My constable realized a suspect might not have an alibi anyway so I´ll have to work that into the next ten chapters or so. Today I am not quite sure why we do it, but I am sure I´ll remember tomorrow.