Saturday, August 21, 2010

Eat, Sleep, Media

The BBC have an interesting news item on an Ofcom report.  Their study of 1,138 adults found that the average person is awake for 15 hours and 45 minutes and spends 7 hours and 5 minutes of that engaging in media and communication activities (and nearly 9 hours if you count multitasking).  The leading media is television, with the average adult Brit watching over three and half hours per day.  Print media comes in at 31 minutes per day. Emailing and texting take up 80 mins, and other online media 36 mins.  I thought the following chart was interesting - it maps the distribution of activities over a 24 hour period.




I'm not in line with the average person - I watch less television, spend much more time on print media and email (but not texting) and way more time using other online media.  As for multitasking, I can only cope with one thing at a time!

1 comment:

pattinase (abbott) said...

TV watching has gone way down since the Internet. It's more interactive and suits my easily bored brain. I do think it's been rewired or hardwired.