Sunday, September 11, 2011

Lazy Sunday Service

I'm spending the weekend translating a short story from a first person perspective into third person. This simple change seems to be making the story stronger in and of itself, which I find interesting. The story has been rejected by a couple of crime fiction magazines in its present form, which is a little disappointing as I think it's one of my better pieces. I've had a couple of friends take a look and they agree, though they've all said the same thing. This works as a short story, but it's really the opening to a novel. Since the story and the characters won't stop rattling around in my head, I'm going to work it up as novella, hopefully between now and Christmas. If I don't write it out, I suspect it's going to be one of those stories that'll haunt me for an age. We'll see how it goes.

My posts this week:
For a few pennies more
Blood in the gutter
Review of White Sky, Black Ice by Nathan Jones
Two by two
August reviews

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rob - I wish you well with that story. I know all too well about characters rattling around in one's head...