Sunday, January 13, 2013

Lazy Sunday Service

I bought Icelight by Aly Monroe and Ratlines by Stuart Neville yesterday in the local bookshop.  Given I'd just finished Castle Freeman's Go With Me, I decided to moved Icelight to the front of the TBR pile.  I'm a 130 pages in and enjoying it, but I'm wondering whether I've made a mistake reading book three of the series without having read books one and two.  The main character, Peter Cotton, is a bit of enigma and I suspect I would have a better handle on him and his backstory if I'd read the first two. Oh well, nothing for it but to keep going and backfill at a later date.  Do you read a series in order or skip around?

My full review of Icelight is here.

My posts this week
Dictionary proofs arrived
Review of The Silver Stain by Paul Johnston
Literary noir crime fiction
Favourite cover of 2012
Review of Broken Dreams by Nick Quantrill
The game is up

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob,

I always like to start at the beginning of a series and read it in order.

Ray Kolb

Anonymous said...

Rob, I'm in the minority. I do not mind reading a book out of order. I can always get back to the first book, if I've enjoyed it, and discover how the author has arrived there.

Rob Kitchin said...

I usually read in order, but I was taken with this book so I thought I'd give it go. Where it usually doesn't work is when a series is of a finite number, say a trilogy - reading the final book before the other two doesn't really work.